We’ve sent it to our tester Chris Bailey in St Anton Austria to see how it matches up with other similar products on the market – here are the results:
I wore the Saami Kemi Jacket in St Anton, Austria, for six days on the mountain and was very happy with almost every aspect of it. Firstly, the bright blue colour is striking and attractive and works well against the orange flashes of the badge and lining – my friends who I was skiing with regularly commented on how I was instantly recognisable in the jacket from across the mountain. That said, it seemed that everywhere I looked there were fellow skiers wearing similar coloured jackets so it is clearly a popular style at the moment.
In terms of practicality I can have few complaints: it was completely waterproof, warm and windproof (even during heavy snow and winds), breathable and had many useful and convenient pockets including one on the arm for a ski pass and two large mesh pockets for goggles and gloves. I particularly liked the detachable hood. It was also not too heavy which has been a complaint of mine with previous ski jackets I have worn. One issue I did have was with one of the zip tags on a side pocket, which snapped off after very little use. (Snow.Guide has spoken to the company about this and they have assured us this problem has been rectified).
Overall, I was delighted with this jacket and would certainly recommend it to others – it looks great, it is practical, and I really enjoyed wearing it.
- Waterproofing rating of 14,000mm
- Breathability rating of 11,000gm/m2/24
- 100% windproof
- Thinsulate Insulation
- SaamiSkin lining
The SaamiSkin Outer Shell and lining together with the Thinsulate insulation provides a triple layer design that will keep you warm and dry.
- All Seams fully taped providing full waterproofing
- Hood adjustable draw cords (rear and front)
- Removable zipped hood with storm visor
- All main zips have pull tags to make them easier to use when wearing gloves
- Soft fleece on neck and chin area
- Over-sized under arm vents with mesh interior to enable quick cool down
- Adjustable Cuff closures with 360 gaiter
- Snow skirt with stretch rubber grip and jacket-to-ski pant clips
- Adjustable draw cord hem to ensure perfect fit
- Robust front main zip with Velcro storm flap
- All pockets have oversized zipped entry to allow ease of use when you have cold hands
- Two waist high quality fleece lined pockets
- Large front left chest pocket with waterproof zip – big enough to fit a water bottle in.
- Hidden Media pocket (Phone/IPOD) with headphone feed accessible without unzipping jacket
- Hidden left arm wrist accessory pocket (useful for your ski pass or keys)
- Two large internal mesh stretch pockets for goggles, hats and gloves
Good for: Skiing in all conditions, cold weather skiing, off-piste skiing, general skiing
Rating: 9 out of 10