If you’re planning a ski touring adventure this winter where you’ll be staying overnight in high mountain huts, then this backpack is an ideal candidate to carry all you’ll you will need for trips of one night to a week’s touring across the Haute Route.
It’s packed full of features that clearly have a lot of thought, testing and research behind them, making like in the mountains just that little bit easier and more convenient.
Osprey already have a great reputation for comfortable, hard-wearing and great looking backpacks and the Mutant certainly ticks all those boxes, and although clearly the hardwearing element is something we can only be sure of with time, the fabric, stitching and finishing looks tough and rugged – it’s just what we would expect.
What it isn’t, is a freeride ski backpack – it’s just too big for that and the shoulder straps and slightly narrower than you’d expect for a pack of this nature. But it’s not designed for freeriding, it really is a true touring pack that can carry clothing, kit, skis, helmet, ice axe; your whole world for however many days you’re in the mountain.
Here’s a good example of a ski touring trip that this pack would be ideal for: UCPA Chamonix to Zermatt
- Ultra-durable 420HD nylon pack cloth and 210D nylon honeycomb fabrics
- Snow-shedding back panel
- Removable HDPE frame sheet with T6061 aluminium stay for support
- Low-profile, non-restrictive harness with load lifters
- Adjustable sternum strap with emergency whistle
- Reverse wrap storable hip belt
- Integrated gear loops on hip belt for easy racking
- Removable lid with dual compartments
- Integrated ski/climbing helmet storage
- FlapJacket cover for use when lid is removed
- Under lid rope carry system
- Internal hydration sleeve
- Dual ToolLock ice axe attachments
- Dual front daisy chains offer flexible attachment options
- Side ski carry
- Side compression straps
- Glove-friendly buckles
- Weight: 1.26kg
Latest posts by Robert Stewart (see all)
- Is this The Ultimate 2021-22 Alpine Road Trip Adventure? – 13 January, 2021
- What We Found In Our Christmas Stocking For The 2020-21 Winter Season – 22 December, 2020
- Warren Miller’s ‘Future Retro’ Launches In The UK With New Virtual Platform – 30 October, 2020
- Win Maier Sports Jacket and Pants – 24 May, 2020