This jacket has been designed for extreme adventurers as well as those who are serious about mountaineering and hiking. Read on for our review of the Helly Hansen Expedition Extreme 3L jacket.
Helly Hansen Expedition Extreme 3L Jacket – The review
The first thing I noticed about this hard shell jacket is how light it is. At 900g it can easily be folded up and put into a back pack when it is not needed.
But not only is it light, it is also incredibly durable. This is thanks to Helly Hansen’s 3L fabric which is a nylon mechanical stretch. The fabric also has SUN treatment.
I am 5ft 8″ with a slim build and the medium size fitted perfectly and was very comfortable to wear.
The Helly Hansen Expedition Extreme jacket is highly breathable as well as waterproof and weatherproof. The science behind this is that it has 20,000gm WP & 20,000gm moisture vapor permeability. Put it this way, the jacket will do you proud in the most extreme of conditions!
As mentioned, this mountaineering jacket is designed for the big adventurers out there. Because of this the jacket has handy features such as a D-ring inside chest pocket for attachment of a GPS system. Also a steel wire in the brim. This is to shape the helmet compatible hood to keep out the wet in storms.
It is also the little things that make this jacket so well designed, such as the oversized zips for use with gloves or mittens. Also, webbing loops on the front for mic/wire clip attachment.
Helly Hansen Expedition Extreme 3L Jacket – Features
- Extremely durable Helly Tech® Professional 3L. Nylon mechanical stretch fabric developed for the toughest conditions out there.
- 20,000gm WP & 20,000gm moisture vapor permeability
- Waterproof, Windproof, breathable & fully seam sealed
- DWR + hydrophilic lamination, nylon tricot backing. Fabric has a SUN treatment
- 80 hours color fastness to light.
- Developed together with professional explorers to achieve the ultimate expedition jacket. hard-shell fit provides maximum protection from the elements.
- CB length: 83cm
- Ergonomic, helmet compatible hood for optimal fit and protection.
- Steel wire in brim shaping maximum wind and rain shedding ability. Velcro construction around hood for possibility to attach fur.
- One hand hood adjustment at centre of back
- Double full storm plackets for maximum weather protection
- Webbing loops at front for mic/wire clip attachment.
- Extra large and easy grip zipper pullers, developed for handling with big gloves
- Mitten anchors on sleeves
- Front hood adjustment with lightweight cord ends for minimal distraction in heavy wind.
- Waist regulation inside pocket for optimal individual fit
- D-ring inside chest pocket for attachment of GPS system
- Durable reinforcement fabric on sleeves and CB hem
- Extra durable YKK®#8 vislon CF zipper
- 2 chest and 2 hand secure YKK® zipped pockets.
Helly Hansen Expedition Extreme 3L Jacket – Final Thoughts
The Norwegian brand Helly Hansen have a global reputation for their expertly designed apparel for extreme conditions and the Expedition Extreme 3L jacket is no exception.
Helly Hansen commissioned pros to help design this jacket and it shows. Packed with helpful features it also does what fundamentally it should do – keeps you warm and dry in any condition.
Worthy of its price tag, this jacket is about as good as it gets for the serious adventurer. Or even for a long hike on a Sunday afternoon!
Good for: Mountaineering / Hiking / Extreme Adventures
Rating: 10 out of 10
Mark is also the manager of Jamie Barrow (Britain’s fastest snowboarder)
Latest posts by Mark Barber (see all)
- Hit The Slopes In The UK For A Practice Session Before The School Ski Trip – 21 November, 2019
- Snowboarding in Myrkdalen, Norway – 25 September, 2019
- Helly Hansen Expedition Extreme 3L Jacket Review – 30 July, 2019
- Siberian Freeride Adventure 2020 – 27 May, 2019