This is a review of a Burnt Custard base layer from the Jamie Nicholls collection.
These Burnt Custard base layers were designed by Team GB Olympian Jamie Nicholls so ideal for skiers and snowboarders. Apart from the design, the main difference is that they are longer in length which suited my style.
The base layer is made from Meryl Microfibre and is almost cool to touch. It really does feel like a superior quality fabric.
It is a compression top so hugs the skin tightly, acting like a second skin. This felt strange for me at first but I soon got used to it and didn’t even feel that I had it on after a while.
The compression helps against fatigue in the muscles as well as giving an excellent moisture management system. It is also fully breathable.
This is not just sales spiel from Burnt Custard, it really does work! I tested this Burnt Custard base layer top in Tignes, early December. I had bluebird days so quite hot most of the time. At any point when I began feeling hot, the base layer gave me a cooling sensation; it was like having my own air-conditioning.
This is because the fabric is moisture wicking. The 4 way stretch material is also antibacterial and can easily be worn for a few days at a time before washing.
Another great feature for those hot and sweaty bluebird days is that it offers UVA and UVB protection.
At the top of Grande Motte it was very chilly and the base layer did it’s job and kept me warm.
I was blown away by how good the Burnt Custard base layer is, and is probably the best I have ever tested. To make it even better, they are a UK company with all their clothing produced in the UK.
I honestly can’t fault this product.
- 100% Meryl Microfibre – a guarantee of consistent quality
- Compression: second skin effect reducing recovery time and muscle soreness
- Superior 4-way stretch and recovery allowing greater mobility in any direction
- The fabric qualities ensure exceptional wear-ability while leaving the muscles free to move
- Fully breathable and excellent moisture management, ensuring a balance between the ambient humidity and that of the body whilst protecting the wearer against the cooling effect of moisture evaporation
- High protection from UVA & UVB rays
- Made in Britain
Good for: Skiing and Snowboarding / skiing.
Rating: 10 out of 10
Mark is also the manager of Jamie Barrow (Britain’s fastest snowboarder)
Latest posts by Mark Barber (see all)
- Review of Les Menuires : The gateway to the Three Valleys – 15 July, 2018
- Helly Hansen XCool Boxer review: Technical sport underwear – 4 July, 2018
- Panda Optics Cove Sunglasses review – 28 June, 2018
- Should You Have A Ski Lesson Before Your Ski Holiday? – 3 May, 2018